It’s a jungle out there…

So I went to the allotment for the first time in weeks last Friday. Oh dear, oh dear, oh dear. It’s quite interesting leaving weeds to their own devises. It’s always quite interesting to see exactly how tall weeds get (about my hight I’ve discovered). Plus if you leave some veg to go to seed, it’s really quite pretty. PSB seed pods are fasanating and leek flowers really quite beautiful and as my next plot neighbour Joe said “at least there’s somewhere for the wildlife to go”.

It is pretty bad though and I am quite ashamed about it all. It does mean I’m back to square one again too. I’ve been advised to get a manual lawn mower to chop down the weeds and to keep mowing the weeds afterwards. That way the plants use up all their energy trying to grow and they eventually die (plus you’re left with a rather nice lawn afterwards, so I may not have any vegetables but at least I’ll have somewhere nice to sit down on).

But it’s not all bad news on the vegetable front. The front of the flat is looking rather lovely at the moment. I have a couple of hanging baskets with a few tomato plants growing away and lots of growbags containing the runner beans and peas I bought from Crocus a few weeks back. And there’s pots of lettuces and courgettes too. I’ll take a few pictures when I next remember. 

Obvisiouly none of this matters because in 30 hours I’m off to my spritual home. This is a gentle warning really as there will be a few posts about it when I come back. I lost my journal in the Great Flood of 05 and it’s such a shame as you can’t remember everything. I have however, just found a very old blog of mine with entries from Glastonbury 04. If you fancy reading it, posts are here, here, here and here. The links might not work though and it’s slightly depressing to see that my writing was much funnier and quite a bit better than what it is now. Ho hum.

Anyway, see you next week you lot.  Enjoy the solstice. I’ll try and not get too muddy.

« »

6 Responses

  1. Have a good time. I may be looking at available plots on a site just a few minutes walk away whilst you are. I’ve also started an allotment blog FlightPlot here on WordPress! I must say that I’m starting to get itchy green fingers!

  2. I think your writing now is funny – you just don’t have the same amount of time to blog as you did then. Have a good ‘un 🙂

  3. Your old Glasto blogs are rather good Charlotte.

    I look forward to hearing all about this years when you and Dave get back – hopefully you want get caked in too much mud!

    Ps Don’t your allotment neighbours get annoyed with you and your weeds in case infest their patch?

  4. I apologised to old Joe who has allotments either side of mine about the weeds and his reply was a shrug of the shoulders, a ‘never mind, you’re busy’ and a ‘it’s good for the wildlife’.

    The weekend was awesome. I’m sunburnt! Will do a proper post tonight once I’ve uploaded photos and had some sleep.

  5. Hey I managed to ‘catch’ the sun too even though it only came out for maybe a total of 2 hours the whole 4 days. How was your bus journey? Ours was a nightmare – no space for three quarters of the passengers’ luggage (so we squeezed into the spaces around our bags on the seats)and then on the way back the driver got everyone to take off their muddy boots etc. so as not to dirty the bus….I mean did anyone look at the weather forecast for the weekend?!?

    Anyway apart fom all that I had a brilliant time and will forget the not so good stuff 🙂

  6. I don’t think anyone had a good time with those coaches. Getting to the festival was fine, the coach actually left on time and we wern’t stuck in traffic and got to the site in a decent time. Going back was a little better than your journey it seems. It was a complete free for all for London coaches, was complete madness. Luckily we didn’t have to take any wet clothes off, but I had managed to catch a bad throat thing and had real trouble breathing. Apparently Dave was very close to getting the coach to stop and take me to hospital because at times it looked like I had stopped breathing completly! (I’m much better now though. I just have a stinking cold now).

    My friends were slightly worse off. Joe’s bus getting to the site was four hours late and again, he had to wait three hours fpr the coach home. Poor bugger. And mum and my sisters’ coach home to Southampton never even turned up!

    But apart from that, an ace time was had by all. Will write about it soon.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: